We have all experienced a slow computer, and if your computer is slow now, you are not alone. But, what is causing your computer to run so slow?
There are so many different parts of a computer and it’s operating system that it can be hard to pinpoint where a specific issue is occuring, especially if you have limited knowledge of computers.
Instead of hiring somebody to tell you what’s wrong with your computer, it will save you money to determine the cause of your slow PC on your own so that you can fix it yourself, or at least know why your PC is slow.
Basically, there are several different reasons why users experience slow computers. Here is a list of just a few of the possible causes:
- Viruses and malware could have found their way onto your computer, which can infect your files and affect the performance of your PC.
- Outdated hardware – computer hardware is constantly being upgraded, which in turn leads to software that requires more computing power. Outdated hardware would slow down your computer in these instances.
- Not enough free space – If your hard drive is nearly filled to the brim, you will experience noticeable slow-downs in performance.
- Startup overload – you may have too many programs trying to load when you turn your computer on.
- Cluttered hard drive – If you have not cleaned your hard drive in a while, you probably have excess temporary files that can be deleted to free up hard drive space. This can also lead to a fragmented hard drive, which means that the files on your hard drive are no longer stored consecutively, but rather scattered in different bits which increases the load time of programs.
- Outdated software – More often than hardware, the software for your computer is constantly being updated. This may be to add new features or to correct known bugs and issues. Every device attached to your computer uses what is known as a “driver” to help it operate properly and these can also become outdated.
These are just a few of the things that may be the cause of your slow computer. Lucky for you, each of these problems does have a solution that can be easy to perform and provide an instant increase in performance to speed up your slow computer.
Here at Free Computer Maintenance we provide many resources that can help you with identifying and correcting these problems.
- 3 Ways to Protect Your Computer From Internet Viruses
- Reduce Your Slow Computer’s Startup Time
- Delete Temporary Windows Files to Speed Up Your Computer
- 3 Tips to Increase Free Disk Space
- Regularly Check for Software Updates
There are many, many more informative articles that you can find on our blog to help you speed up your computer. With these resources, you can determine the problem and take the necessary steps to speed up your computer easily.
If you know of any other resources that can help computer users find the cause of their slow PC or resources that can help speed up any slow PC, feel free to share in the comments below.